Sunday, May 18, 2014

QR Codes

I recently had a e-survey/reflection that my students needed to complete after our e-mentoring program came to an end.  I decided to make the lengthy url into a QR code and post it on the SmartBoard when the students came into class.  It did catch their attention a bit, and increased engagement for the time being, but I did not find it all that effective.  Most of the students do not use this technology and therefore did not have the QR reader app already on their device.  Thus, of course this took some time for them to download it.  If I was going to use QR codes on a more regular basis, then it might have been worth it.

I was thinking about other ways I could use QR codes next year.  I decided to add QR codes for some suggested websites for a makeup version of a guest speaker journal assignment.  This way, the students will have easy access to the website at home or on their device, without having to memorize the website.  We shall see next year if this helps students to access the information.

As this school year comes to a close and the next school year begins, perhaps I will think of more original and creative ways to use QR codes.  So far, this is a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment